About this Show

The O Reilly Factor

News/Business. (2012) New. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

California 11, Connecticut 9, America 8, Us 7, Quentin Terrentino 5, New York 5, Mexico 5, Obama 4, Ho 4, Afghanistan 3, Usa 3, England 3, Charles Krauthammer 3, Mrs. Hammar 2, Simpson Bowles 2, Bill O'reilly 2, Feinstein 2, Nra 2, Nissan Sentra 2, Jeff 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The O Reilly Factor    News/Business.   
   (2012) New. (CC)  

    December 18, 2012
    5:00 - 6:00pm PST  

5:00pm
it wasn't until 1944 that it started to become an annual tradition like it is today. that's when the san francisco ballet put the first u.s. production and marketed to families. but the curtain went up on the nutcracker 120 years ago today. now you know the news for this tuesday, december 18. dad's birthday, 85. still kicking. happy birthday, pop. i'll see you back here tomorrow from studio b at 3 eastern and fox report right before mr. bill o'reilley >> bill: "the o'reilly factor" is on. tonight -- >> the assault weapon is developed for military purposes to kill in close combat. >> bill: as we predicted, semiautomatic weapons are now under fire. pardon the pun. will congress ban them? charles krauthammer and i will
5:01pm
discuss it. >> he is not a gun runner and you know. he should be released immediately. >> bill: with seven days until christmas, will the mexican government release marine corporal jon hammer from prison? this is a terrible miscarriage of justice. and president obama should get involved. we'll have the latest from the corporal's parents. >> i know what you're thinking. did he fire six shots or only five? ask yourself one question, do i feel lucky? >> bill: do you recall tradition violent movies and video games incite psychopaths to commit crimes. quentin terrentino and jamie fox are under pressure. we'll tell you what's going on. caution, you are about to enter the no spin zone. "the factor" begins right now.
5:02pm
>> bill: hi. i'm bill o'reilly. thanks for watching us tonight's. the truth about guns, murder and children in the usa. that is a subject of this evening's talking points memo. emotions running high after 20 children were murdered in newtown, connecticut. the president, congress and we the people all want to do something constructive to make sure this horror doesn't happen again. the problem, it will happen again no matter what we do. that doesn't mean we should do nothing. however, before acting, let's take a look at the facts. mass shootings in the usa are on the decline. according to criminologist from the minute money department of corrections, mass murder in america was most severe in 1929. in recent years, there were 32 mass killings in the 1980s, 42 in 9 '90s and 26s in the first decade of this century. according to the department of justice, murders of school age children have declined by 42% in
5:03pm
the past 15 years. the latest stats show 1% of the murdered kids died at school. now, that's not to diminish the horrible crimes we have seen in connecticut and other places recently. all americans should understand that violence like that harms america's image throughout the world and we do have a gun culture here. no question about it. if the feds can tighten up gun laws without violating constitutional rights, they should do so. is it legal is one glaring question. how could the mother of the killer have acquired an ar 15 when connecticut has tough gun law? to build a build country, a safer country, we don't need knee jerk reactions after heinous crimes. we need smart solutions. listen to this exchange at the white house yesterday. >> you name one thing the president has done in the last four years to help remove
5:04pm
weapons of war from our streets? >> the president supports the assault weapons ban. and the reinstatement of this assault weapons ban. we have to -- >> one measure, one act. one to remove the weapons of war he talked about. >> again, he supports legislation that is designed to ban some weapons. but as you know, this is a complex issue and that requires complex solutions. >> bill: mr. carney is correct, it is complex. and all new legislation should be based on facts and constitutional protections. it's interesting to see the far left in america calling for a ban of all hand guns. that is clearly unconstitutional. their answer to that? well, the constitution is outmoded. that's very dangerous. but the far left have been pushing that point of view for years. the truth is, they don't like the constitution. 'cause they want the federal government to have far more
5:05pm
power than it already has. and they use appalling crimes like newtown to push that agenda. in the months to come, talking points will take a very hard look at how the obama administration handles the public safety issue vis-a-vis guns as always, our analysis will be based on facts. that's a memo. now for the top story, how will the connecticut mass murder affect public policy? joining us from washington, fox news political analyst, charles krauthammer. all right, assault weapons number one. but this is going to run into party politics and i think both parties now noe it. so the american public very emotional now. that's going to die down a little bit. but the issue is very emotional and the democrats are going to come in and they're going to try to get as much hand gun legislation and assault rifle legislation as they can. is that the way you see? >> i think that's right. there are people who want to use this as a partisan, who
5:06pm
scapegoat the nra to one over one side of the argument. i think one way to get around that is to too what joe lieberman suggested, appoint a commission, not to put it off indefinitely. we had a commission after 9-11. because there is going to be a rush to judgment on this. i think it's likely that we're going to pass weapons laws that will be completely useless and i think it would be far better to appoint a commission to report in three months, six months, maybe lieberman, maybe giuliani to let head it and look not just at gun, which is the only place where liberals want to look, but to look at the other two elements of any mass shooting. there is the shooter, there is the gun and the environment. and we're talking about the commitment laws for the dangerously mentally ill, which are extremely lax in the united states of america. and although it would not probably have affected what happened in connecticut, it would surely have affected what happened in tucson where the guy
5:07pm
was obviously a danger. everybody knew he was. and the only way you could stop him, the only way you could incarcerate him is after he killed. and the third element is the culture, the violence. in the movies, in the video games where without a doubt children are desensitized to violence. it's either glorified or trivialized to a point that is truly shocking. and if you have a kid looking at a screen who is already sort of living in an internal world where you mow down people for entertainment on the screen, no pain, no consequences, it's not surprising they would imitate that. >> bill: the thrill of the kill is on display now in these video games and for normal children, children with no behavioral issues, you know -- but with kids who are like this guy in connecticut and by the way, the killer in colorado in aurora also was somebody that they could have dealt with if they
5:08pm
had tougher mental -- i don't know if it's laws or guidelines. >> civil commitment laws. it's no accident he showed up at a batman movie. >> bill: right. the party politics of it will override the policy because the party politics, i know what they're doing already. on both sides. the nra has basically ducked this. but now on friday they say they're going to hold a press conference. that's the worst day of the year. it's the friday before christmas. they're not going to get any play. the nra doesn't want any part of this and their main lobbying group for the pro gun people. when i say pro gun, it's not that they want a lot of guns around. it's just they don't want their rights infringed upon. they want to be able to get whatever hardware they want. but i think and i think you agree with me, that we can tighten up the purchases of guns, particularly heavy weapons like the ar's. we can tighten those up.
5:09pm
i would support, for example, anybody owning an ar in america would have to register with the f.b.i., so the f.b.i. would have to know who has these weapons and now people are going well, we don't want to. we believe the government is oppressive and they're going to do this and it's a slippery slope. but i think we have to do things like that. am i wrong? >> i agree with you entirely. look, in 1994, i supported the ban on assault weapons and the same column in which i supported it, i predicted it would have zero effect. well, we've had studies about what effect it had. it was in force for ten years, so it's a very good experiment in time. it had no effect on the level of homicide. it had no effect on the lethality and nature of gun violence. and we know that to be a fact. so it is not -- so it isn't as if we're herizing from nothing. we did this and it didn't have an effect. the main reason is that there is so many loopholes. if you look at the feinstein
5:10pm
law, the one she is now proposing to reintroduce, she exempts 900 kinds of weapons. the loopholes here are so enormous that it will have no appreciable effect on the homicide rate. >> bill: all the stats show -- >> everybody will feel good and you can demonize the nra. won't make any difference. show me a law that will make a difference and i'll support it. >> bill: me, too. so charles krauthammer and bill o'reilly are right on the same page here. we don't mind laws that will work. but just laws that give the government more power and take the power away from the individual, no. >> and bring me impeercal evidence. >> bill: next up, lou dobbs on the latest and the outrangeious budget debate. will libya deal before we get hammered? is it legal investigating how that mother of the newtown killer was able to obtain an assault rifle. we're coming right back this was the hole my waist was on.
5:11pm
but since i've been on alli, am i on this one? nope. am i on this one? no, no, no, no, no. i am on this one. [ male announcer ] for every 2 pounds you lose through diet and exercise alli can help you lose one more by blocking some of the fat you eat. simple. effective. belt-friendly. let's fight fat with alli. have a healthier holiday at letsfightholidayfat.com.
5:12pm
adt can help you turn on a few lights. access cameras from anywhere to help you keep an eye on things. even bring family in from the cold when you're not there. now get the advanced technology of adt starting at just $99 and save $300. with adt, you get 24/7 fast response monitoring
5:13pm
that helps protect you from burglary, fire, and high levels of carbon monoxide. plus remote access to your home. even control your thermostat to help save energy and money. get adt installed starting at just $99. that's a $300 savings. you may even save up to 20% on your homeowners insurance. for everything that matters most. adt. always there. gives you 1% cash back on all purchases, plus a 50% annual bonus. and everyone...but her likes 50% more cash. but i'm upping my game. do you want a candy cane? yes! do you want the puppy? yes! do you want a tricycle? yes! do you want 50 percent more cash? no! ♪ festive. [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card gives you 1% cash back on every purchase plus a 50% annual bonus on the cash you earn. it's the card for people who like more cash. what's in your wallet?
5:14pm
>> bill: in the impact segment tonight, it's like a ping-pong game between president obama and speaker of the house john boehner. the basic questions remain, will we the people get hammered or will the politicians hammer out a budget deal? here now the latest fox business anchor, lou dobbs. i'm counting on you here because i can't follow this. it's too frustrating. i mean, i just want to strangle the television set, then i get electrocuted if i do that. tell me where we are. >> we're nowhere. >> bill: oh! >> sorry. but we're getting closer. >> bill: close to nowhere. >> the fact is speaker boehner lented and has moved all the way to willing to tax people making a million dollars a year or more. that's a big move for him. the president has agreed to make that number 400,000, raise taxes on those making 400,000 or more.
5:15pm
conveniently, by the way, that 400,000, that's the same amount of money the president makes. it's kind of convenient, don't you think? >> bill: all right. so they'll probably meet 650. all right. what about the spending side? >> spending side, that's kind of interesting because we started out with simpson bowles, three to one. spending cuts to tax hikes. >> bill: so explain. simpson bowles the commission signed by president obama and he ignored it completely. >> absolutely. three times as much cuts in spending than tax revenue. >> and now one to one, sort of. depending how you want to look at it. but that's where we are. the markets are so excited, bill. >> bill: they're up! >> two triple digit rallies in two days. >> bill: what are they going to cut? >> we have no idea. >> bill: so the president says he's going to cut a trillion dollars -- >> it's a lot easier, right? >> bill: a year? is it ten years? >> it's a trillion for every ten
5:16pm
years because you don't want to shock the system. >> bill: that's nothing. >> i know. >> bill: so you're going to cut a trillion dollars over a ten-year period. $100 billion a year in spending. he doesn't tell us where. >> no. >> bill: okay. and they're going to tax everybody to get a trillion dollars over ten years in revenue. >> that doesn't include the $260 billion in taxes that will begin next year in the new year for obamacare. >> bill: explain to the folks where those taxes come from. >> those taxes come from them. the $270 billion will be across -- >> bill: 3.8% on capital gains, right? >> for example -- >> bill: that's already signed into law. >> 2.3% on medical devices. >> bill: what's a medical device? if i buy crutches? >> you name it. >> bill: anything, any medical device, you pay 2.3% tax? >> because you want to tax things you really don't need. >> bill: 3.8% on top of whatever the capital gains tax is.
5:17pm
>> we can offer .9% on those making above the $250,000 level for obamacare, an extra .9% on investment surtax for the millionaires. >> bill: so these taxes are already into law and that's going to be an additional to what the new tax rate is going to be, whatever they are. so you expect them to come to some kind of deal before january 1? >> in this instance, i think the major decisions have been made. i think -- >> bill: just jockeying? >> this is political theater. >> bill: 'cause the president has to go to hawaii. >> he's got to get to ohio. >> bill: charo is waiting for him. now, california bankrupt as you all know and this is one of the reasons why. the head of the highway patrol in california is a guy named jeff talbott. we believe he's a patriotic american. there he is. in his last year, 'cause he's retired now, jeff collected about a half million dollars in salary. half million dollars.
5:18pm
okay? and he retired on $175,000 a year pension. jeff is a police officer. what are you laughing about? you don't think jeff deserves half million? >> god bless jeff. god bless everybody. i mean, the fact -- the season, god bless everybody. but when we have state patrol officers in the state of california walking away with 90% of their highest salary as their pension -- >> bill: they can't pay it. >> there is a reason they call california lala land. >> bill: that's the crux of the matter everywhere. pensions, over time, unions and the folks don't have enough money to pay it. am i oversimplifying it? >> you are simplifying it brilliantly. >> bill: we're sorry to pick on you, jeff. as i said, i believe he's a patriot. probable will he gave his whole career to forgetting the people of california. but 500,000 a year, all right, he gets paid, and then he's walking away with $175,000, plus
5:19pm
benefits for pension a year! jeff is going to live probably a long time! >> we hope, we hope. the people of california are pinheads. they're the ones who approved it. they've got $600 billion. >> bill: they don't pay attention. they're at the beach. it's nice in california. they're not looking at pensions. but they're sold out by the people they elect in sacramento. >> that's why they need to be -- >> bill: unions and the politicians, that's what they do and the folks are out there surfing and that's why your state is bankrupt. >> and things are perfect in new york because we always -- >> bill: i want you to call obama and bainer and get this deal done. they'll take dobbs' call. they don't take my call. directly ahead, the parents of the marine in prison to mexico on bogus charges will tell us about their struggle. then john stossel, what do you think the government should do about guns? stossel a libertarian and we're coming right back
5:20pm
♪ [ engine revs ] ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] the mercedes-benz winter event is back, with the perfect vehicle that's just right for you,
5:21pm
no matter which list you're on. [ santa ] ho, ho, ho, ho! [ male announcer ] lease a 2013 c250 for $349 a month at your local mercedes-benz dealer.
5:22pm
5:23pm
>> bill: factor follow-up segment. as we have been reporting, jon hamm it is mar, iraqi and afghan vet has been in a mexican prison since august on bogus gun charges. with christmas just a week away, we are respectfully asking the mexican government to release him on humanitarian grounds. >> this is a 27-year-old marine in a mexican prison. his family is urging the administration to do something about it. >> we don't know all the facts of the case and inn what he did, but his family is asking the white house to look into it. is there anything going on to ascertain the facts to see whether he's innocent or not, 'cause again, we don't know what really happened? >> well, i'll have to take the question 'cause i don't know the facts myself on that. so i'll have to take the
5:24pm
question. >> bill: the fact that he doesn't know about the story, very, very disturbing. joining us from miami, john and olivia hammar, the corporal's parents. i understand you have a lawyer on this case. what is the latest? >> the latest is that he met with a couple judges today and they have promised him that they will have a decision by the end of the week that should lead to his release. >> bill: okay. so you are optimistic tonight? you're optimistic that john may be reloosed this week? >> probably next week, but yes, we are. >> bill: all right. so before christmas is really what we want. we want him back in fellow that before christmas. now, mrs. hammar, tell us about your son. he served in iraq and afghanistan. end he was in combat there and in the marines, you know, serving his country honorably. correct? >> right. >> bill: tell us what he went
5:25pm
through over there. >> he was a good marine. he went through two combat tours. the first was in afghanistan. his unit provided security during karzai's first -- the first election in kabul, afghanistan. and then he also was in fallujah, iraq, for his second combat tour which was much more taxing. >> bill: when he came home, he had post traumaics stress disorder when he came home? >> right. >> bill: did that influence him going to mexico? did it have anything to do with him going to mexico? >> yes. he had been in a nine-month in patient treatment in the napa valley called the pathway home and he had done well there and was really -- had learned coping skills and had gone through some exposure therapy and really felt like it had helped him. but it's an exhausting program because you're really working through tough stuff and when he
5:26pm
got out, he wanted to take three months and go and spend three months in costa rica. he wanted to take an rv. so in order to do that, they bought an rv that they planned to drive. they were really trying to drive through mexico. >> bill: to costa rica and then he had an antique gun, i understand, given to him by you, i guess. it was passed down in the family, which he registered are the u.s. authorities in brownsville and walked it across with the paperwork to the mexicans and they slapped the cuffs on him, which they could have taken the gun and let him go, but they wanted to extort money. am i wrong there? >> either that or they wanted to stick it to american g.i. it's unclear what, but he wanted to figure out how he could go across the country legally with it. >> bill: he didn't sneak it. he walked into the matamoros customs office with it.
5:27pm
so this is bogus. which politicians helped you the most? >> certainly iliana ross. >> bill: your congresswoman? >> right. and marco rubio and bill nelson has also been very outspoken about johnny's plight. >> bill: okay. but you haven't heard from hillary clinton, secretary of state, or president obama as we just heard, president's spokesman doesn't know anything about it. does that discourage you? >> it sort of is shocking at this point. >> it's more discouraging the feedback we get from the actual state department. >> bill: they say they told us they visited your son four times and they're monitoring his case. but they haven't come out and asked for his release and secretary of state clinton hasn't said anything. >> no. >> they've told us they can't do anything. >> bill: is that right? they can't do anything? >> over and over. >> bill: that's bunch of bull. certainly they can do something. certainly president obama can do
5:28pm
something. let's hope that's not necessary. let's hope at the end of the week you get the mexican government does the right thing in the spirit of christmas and the spirit of humanity. we're going to give everybody a little breathing room for three days. they don't do the right thing, there is going to be hell to pay. and there will be. we promise that, mr. and mrs. hammar. let's do it the right way. but if they don't, all hell is going to break loose. thank you very much. we're praying for you guys and for john. plenty more ahead, this evening, is it legal? investigating why the mother of the killer in newtown was able to obtain an assault rifle when connecticut has tough gun laws. then violent movies. do they encourage psychopaths? >> bill: we hope you stay tuned for those reports [ male announcer ] wouldn't it be cool if we took the already great sentra apart
5:29pm
and completely reimagined it with best-in-class combined mpg, and more interior room than corolla and civic? and a technology suite with bluetooth, navigation and other handy stuff? eah, that would be cool. introducing the all-new nissan sentra. it's our most innovative sentra ever. nissan. innovation that excites. now get a $169-per-month lease on a 2013 nissan sentra. ♪ share "not even close." share "you owe me..." share "just right." the share everything plan. shareable data across 10 devices with unlimited talk and text. hurry in for a droid incredible 4g lte by htc for $49.99.
5:30pm
5:31pm
5:32pm
>> bill: stossel matters segment, as we have reported, it is likely congress will try ban assault weapons in the usa. >> the assault weapon is developed for military purposes, to kill in close combat. and it doesn't belong in the streets of our cities. and it doesn't belong where it can be picked up easily by a grievance killer who can walk in to a workplace, a mall, a theater and now an elementary school and kill large numbers.
5:33pm
>> bill: here now, libertarian, john stossel. what do you think about the senator? what do you think about what she's saying? >> i hate these politicians. i hate them making these promises. there ought to be a law, we can fix it. that's why i wrote "no they can't." they can't fix this. and promising that this law will do it is just wrong. >> bill: shockingly i agree with you that no matter what they do as i said in the talking points memo, it's not going to stop this mayhem. however, there is a responsibility on the part of elected officials like the senator and by the way, i respect senator feinstein. i think she's a sincere woman. to try to get policy that does protect the public and children. they have a responsibility to try to get the best policy. do you think anything should be done? >> we should have simple laws that the cops understand that make it hard for mentally ill people and dangerous felons to buy guns. but she's talking about banning
5:34pm
assault weapons. nobody can even agree -- you bring the lawyers on to discuss what that even means. if it means semiautomatic weapons, that's most of the guns in america. they're not going to ban those. and it's been tried. it's been -- they banned guns in england, ireland, jamaica. crime went up. >> bill: not in england, though. their murder rate is very, very low as compared to ours. so is australia and canada. but they've different culture and we understand that. but in england, and i lived there for a year -- gun crimes are taken very, very seriously there. here they're not taken that seriously. i think there should be federal law, any criminal using a gun, any criminal should go into the federal system with mandatory prison sentences, ten years or so. that takes the criminal element and makes it much harder for them. but i agree with you that law-abiding citizens have the right to protect themselves. and that's what the left doesn't want. they want the government to have
5:35pm
all the power and individuals to have no power. and that's why i'm not buying into this liberal agenda because that's really dangerous. however, there has to be some kind of middle ground. does anybody need an ar 15? do we need that? >> i don't think we need that, but you say -- you told charles krauthammer we can tighten up. i just don't think it's true. and -- >> bill: what about this, because -- you know me. i have specific things for everything. what about if you have an ar 15? , you have to register with the f.b.i. so that the f.b.i. knows who has them. all right? and therefore, if there is an intrusion on the mental health level or they commit a felony, immediately that's in the database. i think that makes perfect sense. >> as i hear it, it makes perfect sense. but all these proposals do. we can't imagine the unintended consequences. >> bill: but would you oppose what i just said? >> i would because the cdc looked at 51 studies of gun control and they wanted to find some pattern. they couldn't.
5:36pm
>> bill: so you wouldn't even support, if -- we don't the endless debate over what a semiautomatic weapon is. >> bill: the f.b.i. would define it. >> semiautomatic is most of the 300 million guns that are out there. >> bill: that's true. that's true. all right. there is stossel, everybody. you would be great at the okay coral. when we come back, is it legal investigating why the mother of the newtown killer had an ar 15 assault rifle in the home? and then, do violent movies encourage psychopaths to commit murder? take a hard look at that question in just a few moments we are the house when it comes to the big game. yeah. it's his thing. i don't even participate. boom! here it comes! bring it back! bring it home! [ male announcer ] when you combine creamy velveeta with
5:37pm
zesty rotel tomatoes and green chilies, you get a bowl of queso that makes even this get-together better.
5:38pm
5:39pm
5:40pm
>> bill: thanks for staying with us. i'm bill o'reilly. nancy lanza, mother of adam lanza, killed 26 people including himself, was a gun collector. con condition has tough gun laws, so how did she get the it? >> it's legal in connecticut. the ar 15. unless you have attachments onto. you put a grenade launcher on it or detachable magazine. other than that -- >> bill: how can the state say well, we have tough gun laws if the ar is legal? >> they can't say that. comparatively, they're tough. but -- >> bill: how? comparatively to what?
5:41pm
>> let's look at connecticut law says you don't have to have a permit for this, but you have to wait two weeks. >> bill: that's tough? you don't have to have a permit, but have to wait two weeks for vitamins. i mean, that's tough? >> that is tough. >> bill: two weeks? >> for vitamins. >> bill: so let's be honest, okay? connecticut doesn't have tough gun laws. >> no, they don't. we have actually tougher laws here and california -- >> bill: new york? >> people i know who have gone to get guns in new york, it's tougher than in connecticut. you have to understand something, even under the previous assault gun ban, this ar 15 would not have been illegal. and in california where the laws are even tougher, more stringent, this particular type of weapon that miss lanza had also would not have been banned. >> bill: when they, the liberal politicians say we want to ban assault weapons, this ar 15 wouldn't have fallen into that category? >> exactly. >> bill: so what are we talking about? >> it's going to be quote, unquote, state compliance.
5:42pm
>> bill: what does that mean? >> they don't have these -- >> they specifically will offer a version compliant with state law. what you do after market, i go ahead and modify it, put a bay net on it, folding telescope on it, all of that, that's on me. then it may not be legal and if you have more than 30 rounds capabilities. >> bill: something very interesting happens since friday, since that terrible crime up in newtown, is that there has been a run on this rifle. right? all over the country. people are going into the gun stores and they're -- in each state is a different application process. right? >> yeah. >> bill: in texas you could pretty much buy whatever you want with not a lot of hassle. >> and arizona. >> bill: but in new york, it's a much more difficult process. but they're selling hundreds of thousands of these guns because people feel -- >> they think the feinstein will put this through and i think she will. so in colorado they record the
5:43pm
high, 4,200 background checks on saturday. that's surpassing any previous numbers in one day for background checks. >> they are worried they'll be completely banned. >> one gun dealer i know in california, 56,000 requests for ar weapons since this incident. >> bill: it's interesting that americans feel they need to have this kind of weaponry. i'm going to talk americanly to the audience. i got a lot of threats on my life. a lot. and i deal with them on an individual basis. in fact, last week a guy was sentenced, convictedded of threatening to kill me. i've taken absolute steps to protect myself and if you come on my property or try to break into my house, the outcome is not going to be good for you. all right? but i don't feel like i need an ar. maybe i do and i'm an idiot. maybe i do. maybe i need this weapon. all right? but i got little kids running around and i can't be in that house all the time and i know the safes and i know all of that
5:44pm
business, back up i also know that there are human error. so i made my decision. but i understand that people feel a need to protect themselves. i understand and i do believe we all have the right to do that. it's just a matter of public safety and that's where the debate gets sticky. >> isn't there a difference between protecting yourself and having an assault rifle with 30-plus rounds in it? >> bill: you know what? i don't know. i mean, i don't know. i know that if somebody breaks into my home, i'm going to kill that person. i'm not going to ask questions. >> that's your legal right. >> bill: right. if i have an ar that's going to fire rapidly, that person will die quickly. if i have a little hand gun, you know, it might be a fight. i don't want a fight. i want the person dead. that may sound callus, but if somebody breaks into my home, i have a right to kill them and i will. >> that's also your constitutional right to bear arms. >> bill: that's right. but where it goes hay wire on the right is when people think they need bazookas because the
5:45pm
government may be oppressive and may have to fight the government. i get mail like this all the time. all the time that says, well, the reason we have this is tyranny of the government and let me break this to you. if the american military backs a totalitarian government, your ar ain't going to do you any good. they're going to come in and take you no matter what you have. >> you have to forget the schools and i think even if you had somebody in there in plain clothes and armed, that would be a deterrent that. is something that can be done with one person that can make a difference. >> bill: schools should have as much security as they can possibly have. even if they're in newtown, connecticut, which is an idyllic setting. >> i don't think the answer is arm principals. >> bill: not principals. security guards. >> professionals that have military and law enforcement background. >> and metal detectors. >> if a psycho wants to get in, they'll get in -- >> bill: wait, wait. i disagree with you. if a psycho wants to get into a school and there are locked doors and an armed security
5:46pm
guard, the psycho has a good chance not getting in. >> if that is the case. >> bill: that's what we in america have to go for now. that kind of security. got to go, ladies. thank you for the discussion. we appreciate it. on deck, the most controversial story of the evening. do violent movies and video which is are all over the place encourage psychopaths to committee murders? that report after these messages [ male announcer ] this december, remember -- you can stay in and like something... or you can get out there and actually like something. the lexus december to remember sales event is on. this is the pursuit of perfection. can i still ship a gift in time r christmas? yeah, sure you can. great. where's your gift? uh... whew. [ male announcer ] break from the holiday stress. ship fedex express by december 22nd for christmas delivery.
5:47pm
5:48pm
5:49pm
>> bill: back of the book segment tonight, there is a new movie opening christmas day called ""django unchained" stars jamie fox. it's supposed to be very violent. that is causing the movie studios some problems in the cake of the connecticut murders. we asked mr. fox and quentin terrentino to appear on the program, but they declined. they are appearing on entertainment shows, however.
5:50pm
mr. terrentino takes exception to linking his movie with any real life violence like those dead in connecticut. >> i don't think it has anything to do with that. this has gone back down to shakespeare's days, all right, when there is violence in the street. the cry becomes blame the play makers. and, you know, i think that's a very fassel argument to pin on something that's so real life tragedy. >> bill: but is that true? joining us now from philadelphia, dr. chuck williams, teaches at drexel university and studied the question of violence in film. what's your headline, doctor? >> well, first of all, thanks for having me on, bill, to talk about this very important issue. quentin taken tie tee know, he's a good director as an adult who understands reality and versus fantasy. i can consume that as many times as i want and i happen to enjoy kill bill somewhat that series. but let me also say that after what happened on friday, everybody has to look at what part they had to play in
5:51pm
creating this culture of violence. let me be very clear. quentin terrentino's movies are very violent. he can't back down from that. stand up for the fact that you decide to create these movies. all you have to do is show a clip of his movies and it's stylized violence. so the headline there is when violence looks good, it's okay and we forget that it's violence. >> bill: when you studied this, i mean, it's basically all about influencing people to do sufficient in real life. as you said, you can watch these movies. i can watch these movies. we were not going to do anything. but other people who are maybe sociopathic, psychopathic, they see this video games and all of that, the thrill of the kill on the internet, i've seen it in a children's eyes. i've watched them play these violent games. has your study brought to light any direct cause and effect? >> i looked at the research on
5:52pm
this for a number of years. this goes back to the '60s. what he did was he had a bunch of kids watch an daily beat the living adults out of a doll. and guess what they did? they started to beat the living daylights out of that doll because they witnessed that they observed it. so they modeled that behavior. they mimicked it and he was able to prove that there is a correlation, not causality, but a correlation between viewing aggression and engaging in aggression yourself. so there is that relationship there. it's been there for a while. again, the difference in this conversation is that you or i are relatively balanced. you can successful, functioning at a high level. chances are you're not looking to maim or decapitate people. rhetorically maybe. but for someone on the edge, that's where the conversation of mental illness comes in. someone who is looking for a way out. don't forget a lot of times
5:53pm
these attacks, these assaults, these mass shootings are also suicides. they're looking for a way out. but they want to go out as they say, in a blaze of glory. for people like this, not only can it push them over the edge, not only does it give them a way to do it, but provide has perfect blueprint. if we've ever seen one of quentin terrentino's movies, you can figure out a way to do that and you combine that with all the information available on the super net, then it creates what we call a perfect storm. >> bill: what about the databasement of the culture? the 1960s there was a movie called "a clock work orange" that was very controversial because she was very violent. it featured street gangs in great britain. now it's tame. we have an industry, rap industry, which has a lot of violent lyrics. in the beginning, it was controversial. now it's main stream. they win grammys. so the culture has changed here in america in the last 50 years. from stuff that was taboo in the
5:54pm
'60s is nothing now. and now with the internet, we have child rape web sites. we have the worst filth in the world accessible to anyone in their basement. what kind of effect has that had? >> you know, what's important about that part of the conversation is what do we allow as a society? so as you mentioned in the '60s, although there were movies that depicted violence, especially war movies back in the day, and other kinds of movies talking about life and the urban center and houses, irish, black, going at each other, but in a sense, that was almost depicting real life. quentin terrentino's movies have nothing to do with real life. even martin scorcese, a lot of times he's talking about things that really happened. whether we like it or not is something else. what we're talking about is gratuitous violence. that goes back to what we allow. today in our society, unfortunately we allow for
5:55pm
gratuitous violence. you mentioned hip-hop. i'm a final hip-hop fan. i like old school rappers, like terrorist 1. however, they had a different thinking back then, which was sometimes there was violence, but more importantly, they were delivering a message of liberation and transformation by focusing on the things that will get you out of those situations like education, which is something i know about personally. >> bill: all right. thanks very much. we appreciate it. plenty more ahead and we will have "the factor" tip of the day. christmas music you should have. a little lightness. we need it. the tip 60 seconds away bo%óvúg85k9é@hñ4sv,n6 únhz0'arq
5:56pm
5:57pm
>> the mail: nobody needs assault weapons. it should be much more difficult to get guns in this country. brian grover, long island, new york. it's a police officer. i know that second amendment is not about hunting or target practice. it's a check on government. note to founders including of the word infringe i also think we need stricter gun regulations, but they will
5:58pm
do little if we don't change the culture. i agree. jack, sandy hook, connecticut. really appreciate your compassion and observation that we are coping with dignity up here. you know, jack, what you guys are doing is amazing. up in newtown and where you live. tremendous example to the world. caesar, i'm withholding his last name. the in a rein imprisoned in mexico committed a illegal act. it's not bogus. here is what i understand, caesar. corporal hammar tried to register the antique gun. instead of sending him back to the usa, they put him in prison and tried to extort money from him. don't be a pinhead. john, in california. bill, just bought tickets to see you and miller. not sure los angeles is ready for you. they'll have to be because we'll be at the nokia theater on march 1. we'll see everybody there. and also in phoenix february 22.
5:59pm
dc, april 26. long island, june 1. tickets make great christmas gifts. david bliss, australia. i'm 23. studying psychology and i have as bergers syndrome of the i suffer from a sigma enough. you're welcome, dave. merry christmas to you. finally, factor tip of the day. last week i told you that the carpenters, karen and richard, christmas album, the absolute best. got a lot of mail on that. with a variety of opinions on my opinion. so tonight i'd like to offer some other very good christmas albums. johnny mathis, top notch. neville brothers, excellent. gnat king cole. i know all of those people are not all that current, but unfortunately, the justin bieber christmas album didn't cut it for me. that is it for us to me. check out the fox news factor web site. different from